Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Parents + Technology = HILARITY

So I was talking to a friend of mine, Brian, on the phone today. We were catching up on the goings on and NOT goings on in our industry (he's actually a client and fellow board member). At one point our conversation got into a discussion about hunting and fishing...something that is a PASSION of mine. I mentioned to Brian that my dad has a taxidermy business. Brian was quite impressed and very interested in learning more about my dad's business. Yes, yes...I'm the good kid that's pimping out his dad's ability to stuff a dead animal...

So I promised Brian that I would shoot him an email with my dad's contact information and would make sure that my dad sent over some info about his business with pricing and whatnot. As promised I sent that email to Brian and added my dad to the email as an addressee so that my dad would know where the lead came from. Here's that email:

TO: Brian, Roytaxidermy

Subj: Contact Info

Brian, here is the contact information for my dad: roytaxidermy@xxxxxx.com

Dad, hit "reply all" and send over some information about your services, specialties, and pricing.


That was it. Pretty simple right? Shit I do all the time. Helps keep everyone in the loop and is a great way to introduce people....blah, blah, blah....shit we all know...or so I thought!

So I get a call from Dad (somehow I knew deep down that I would when I hit "send"). Here's how that conversation went:

Dad: Hey Ben, it's your dad (btw, I have caller ID on my cell)

Me: Hey whats up Dad?

Dad: I got a funny email today. You sent it to me but you were talking to some guy named Brian.

Me: (holding back the laughter)...Yeah, I know. Brian is a friend of mine that I was talking to about your taxidermy business. I wanted to put you two in touch with each other. He's a great guy and is really interested in talking with you and learning more about your services, inventory, and pricing. Like I said in my email...hit "reply all" so that it goes to him and me.

Dad: How do I do that?

Me: Hit "REPLY ALL" (barely able to hold back my laughter)

Dad: I don't have a reply all

Me: Yeah you do...it's probably next to REPLY

Dad: Oh, is it this one that says "reply TO all"?

Me: Yeah (pleading with my eyes for Kelli to stop laughing...yeah, she overheard the conversation and was in hysteria)

Dad: Well I didn't know!

Me: It's all good Dad. If you hit "reply" it would only get sent to me. If you hit "reply all" it will go to both me and Brian.

The conversation went on as I told him about Brian and what a great guy he is. The whole time I'm trying as hard as I can not to explode with laughter. I closed our conversation singing to him the tag line from Brad Paisley..."WELCOME TO THE FUTURE..."

As I type this I'm reminded of how much I love my dad. I love the fact that he's found Facebook and a whole new world has opened up to him. I love the fact that I'm now getting to teach him a few things. Now if I could just get him to stop telling me the jokes he emails to me when he sees me...another blog for another time perhaps.....

No comments:

Post a Comment